Thursday, July 16, 2009

The 10 Commandments of Concert-going

Picked it off an article from a Massachusetts website. It's funny, but it's also very true. But hey, it happens all time, and there's no escaping it. I've seen fuckers who weren't into the music at all, and I've seen (and heard) those who were too much into the music.

I can clearly remember the drunk giant next to me at the Hyde Park Springsteen show singing along so loudly that it got me quite pissed off after a while. But luckily, it was only during the last 1/2 hr of the show, from Born To Run onwards. At least during the last verse of Jungleland, he kept his volume down. But he fucked up the last part, trying to keep up with Bruce in singing the final lines. Still, it was pretty amusing, and most of us around him started laughing.

Looking at this list, I also remember the comment someone made behind me, while standing in line for Dave Matthews Band at the Brixton Academy: "This is the first DMB show I've attended where I don't smell any pot."

The Ten Commandments:

1. Thou Shalt Not Get Drunk or High and Stupid Before the Show

2. Thou Shalt Not Arrive Late at a Concert and Rudely Demand People to Get Out of "My Seat!"

3. Thou Shalt Not Covet the Souvenir Tables More than the Concert

4. Thou Shalt Not Get Angry at Artists Who Fail to Play Note-by-Note Versions of their Greatest Hits in Concert

5. Thou Shalt Not Scream Out Requests

6. Thou Shalt Not Use Cell Phones to Text Your Friends During Concerts, to Talk on the Phone During Quiet Moments or to Take Countless Goofy Pictures of You and Your Date with the Performers on stage in the Background

7. Thou Shalt Not Make Out with Date During the Concert

8. Thou Shalt Not Stand and Dance at a Show When No One Else is Standing and Dancing.

9. Thou Shalt Not Walk Out of the Concert to make a Bathroom Run or a Food Run whenever the band plays something new or different

10. Thou Shalt Not Sing Louder Than the Person On Stage