Friday, March 12, 2010

iTunes Shopping List

Yay, I finally got to purchase songs from the iTunes Store, with my new 100 bucks gift card!! Thank you Lord!! Seriously, this is the best music shop in the world. So much to choose from, yet so little time. My list so far includes The Gaslight Anthem's early stuff and Ryan Bingham's two albums. I also got the iTunes exclusive Springsteen EPs, Girls In Their Summer Clothes and Wrecking Ball. I honestly believe Wrecking Ball is a great Springsteen song; a very funny but sad tribute to the now former Giants Stadium. Watching that live video certainly got me looking forward to the upcoming WOAD Tour DVD, which is still taking a hell of long time to get released.

Individual songs cost at least .99 cents; finally bought Neil Young's Philadelphia (remember that final scene in the film with the song playing over it?). Speaking of Ol' Neil, his latest live album Dreamin' Man is another fantastic musical journey. All ten songs from Harvest Moon played in front of audiences before its release back in the early 90's. I'm not really a big fan of that album, but listening to those songs in their most stripped down version gave me the goosebumps.

Finally, I just discovered this band from New Orleans; the legendary Preservation Hall Jazz Band. I couldn't resist getting their new album -- featuring many outstanding musicians and singers playing with the band in their hometown. Most of the songs here are all traditional American tunes, but the band and the singers take 'em to a whole new level, turning them into joyful occasions. This is raw, hot blues and jazz, melting pot of American music. And buying this album also benefits the Preservation Hall Music & Outreach Program.