Friday, October 22, 2010

Oct 22, 1990

Exactly 20 years ago, Pearl Jam was formed. But they weren't known as Pearl Jam then. They were initially called Mookie Blaylock, named after the NBA player. On this date, they would play their very first show in Seattle, with the new guy, Eddie Vedder, who just arrived from San Diego. Fast forward 18 years to June 2008 -- this was when I became obsessed with the music. I still have a vivid memory of buying my first PJ bootleg (Tampa '08), which blew my mind, and changed my perception of what a live band could sound like. It's like an addiction -- you get hooked on one show, and before you know it, you're buying ten more. Soon I would own every show from the 2000/03/05/06 tour. And then fast forward to Nov 14, 2009: my first PJ show.

Eddie, Stone, Jeff, Mike, Matt, thanks for memories.

P.S. For essential reading, check out Kim Neely's Five Against One.