Monday, February 14, 2011

Eric Clapton Live

The Clapton gig felt like a two hour jam session, with musicianship at its highest level. This time he was the only guitarist, but had two guys on keys. The great Steve Gadd was on drums. Last time I saw Clapton was in 2007, and I still prefer that show to this. Back then, he had two guitar players, one of whom was Derek Trucks, master of the slide. There was no slide tonight, which meant a stripped down Layla, which was really lackluster for me. I was also disappointed when he played Wonderful Tonight (he seriously should retire this song live), but thank God it was the short version.

Other than that, the show was awesome. There were strong, lengthy versions of songs like I Shot The Sheriff, Old Love, Crossroads and Little Queen Of Spades. But for me, the highlight was the Cream song, Badge. Just like Little Wing three years ago, it made my night. The man didn't talk at all, other than saying thank you several times. I mean, what the hell is he gonna say to the crowd? He let his Fender do the talking for him.

Next up, The National a month from now!

Setlist:
Key To The Highway
Going Down Slow
Hoochie Coochie Man
Old Love
I Shot The Sheriff
Driftin'
Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out
River Runs Deep
Rocking Chair
Same Old Blues
When Somebody Thinks You're Wonderful
Layla
Badge
Wonderful Tonight
Before You Accuse Me
Little Queen Of Spades
Crossroads
Further On Up The Road