Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Bruce's longest show ever

(c) Joe Lopez; Barcelona, 2012

To me, a Bruce Springsteen gig is one of the most addictive things in the world. I have only three shows under my belt; that's too damn few, not that I'm complaining; I'm absolutely content. Religion won't change your life. A Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band concert will. Last night in Helsinki was the last show of the European tour....until next summer. Bruce and the band set a new record by playing slightly past 4 hours. It just had to happen, sooner or later. And I thought playing 3 & a 1/2 hours every night was already fucking insane; that's now the average length of a Springsteen gig. Now the band heads back home for another round. This Wrecking Ball tour is already one of Bruce's greatest ever tours, and it's fast becoming one of the top tours in rock & roll history. And it's not just the increasing length of the shows; it's also the fans, the rain, the varying setlists, the surprise requests, the fine musicianship, the band chemistry, the superhuman energy and dedication of the greatest frontman in live performance. But what amazes me the most is the fact that he is still able to give himself to us, night after night after night, in light of Clarence Clemon's passing. Bruce knows that Big Man has always been on that stage, right by his side. He'll never ever leave.