Thursday, August 5, 2010

Almost Famous

I finally got hold of the extended version of my favorite music film; my first time watching the director's cut. The extra scenes were pretty fun to watch, especially those brief ones with Lester Bangs, played by the great Phillip Seymour Hoffman. But the real treat was watching the film with the director's commentary. Cameron Crowe (with his mom) had plenty of true fascinating stories to tell about his encounters with rock royalty back in the early 70's (he toured with The Who, Led Zeppelin, Allman Brothers, The Eagles). One interesting thing I discovered was that there were actually quite a few Neil Young references in it (i.e. see Times Fade Away album cover). This is one film I always find myself watching over and over again. Made by a true music fan for the true music fan. At the end of the day, there is one line from Almost Famous that has always stuck with me, and I believe I've mentioned it here before: To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts.