Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Bruce & Stevie Show: Part I

I can't remember the last time I felt so happy listening to a radio show. This week's installment of the Underground Garage has Bruce Springsteen co-hosting with Steve Van Zandt. But what it is essentially is just two really old friends having a great conversation about the music they grew up listening to in their teens. It's real educational, at least for me. I learned more about bands like the Dave Clark Five and The Animals, and what the British Invasion meant to the two of them. Of course I assume almost everyone growing up during the '60s were in way or another affected by the onslaught of English bands conquering the American airwaves, the most important obviously being The Beatles.

And whenever you listen to any episode of the Underground Garage, you know the music's always gonna be great. This time no new songs or 'coolest song in the world', mainly the stuff that was mentioned in the conversation. The show kicks off in high gear with possibly the best Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band garage song: Held Up (Without A Gun). There are a few more from their repertoire; I think there were two from The Promise. I like how Stevie said when The Little Things (My Baby Does) was perhaps the band's finest moment! Lots of songs on the playlist are already familiar to me, but it's something else listening to them in the context of a radio show.

Also there are a few interesting tidbits you find out along the way, in particular Bruce 'ripping off' The Animals' Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood intro, turning minor to major, and making it the opening riff for Badlands. Wow, would could've known? I won't be surprised if the chord progression of Born To Run actually came from The Beach Boys' Don't Worry Baby. Another thing I realized is that Stevie laughs an awful lot. Can't wait for next week's.

CLICK HERE TO LISTEN...