Thursday, January 31, 2013

Big Night Out 2013

This year's Big Night Out 'festival' at Singapore's Fort Canning Park featured three very different bands. I only came to see Band Of Horses, but ended up staying for the whole night. They were the opening band, and they played a decent set, no big deal. From the looks of it they weren't really well received by the crowd. Lots of idiots were talking over the music, which is one of the worst things that can happen at any show. Sadly it's something that can't be helped. These motherfuckers should just stay at home. The best part was when Band Of Horses suddenly broke out Powderfinger, which totally made my day, and no one knew what the hell it was. Then there was Vampire Weekend, which everyone seemed to be crazy about. They sounded tight, but their music has absolutely zero appeal to me. To my ears, they sounded like a Paul Simon rip-off band half the time, and they let out this fucking 'hipster' vibe which I hate. I don't think I ever wanna hear them again. On the other hand, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are a band I definitely will check out. They are great fun, and their nice blend of synth-pop, dance, punk and a little rock & roll is exhilarating, even though the music sounds a bit repetitive most of the time. And Karen O is such a joy to watch onstage! In a weird way she reminds me of frontwomen like Chrissie Hynde and Debbie Harry. The only downside to this short set was the sound system was plain dreadful.

YYYs