Tuesday, May 21, 2013

R.I.P. Ray Manzarek

When the music's over, turn out the lights.

Paired with the dark, earth-shattering poetry of Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek would create a sound on his keyboards unlike any other at the time, making The Doors the most important American band of the late '60s and early '70s.  He was responsible for creating many colorful images in my head. I also love the work he did with X on their first few albums. Watch the documentaries and interviews and notice how Ray was still very enthusiastic and passionate about his band after all these years. He continued to carry on their legacy, for good and for bad, till this day. They literally were and still are in a league of their own. The music of The Doors has been a huge part of my life the past five years, and will continue to be for as long as I live.

P.S. Virtually every Doors song had a keyboard 'moment'. My favorite will always be Ray's solos from The Wasp (Texas Radio And The Big Beat). Combined with the mean guitar licks by Robby Krieger and John Densmore's firm drumming, it is rock & roll perfection.