Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Superbowl Halftime Performance Preview

I think performing at the Superbowl Halftime Show is a great move for Bruce Springsteen. The game is broadcast live around the world and more than a billion people watch it. Everyone will get a chance to see how great Bruce and the E Street Band are on stage. What would even make a greater Superbowl experience for me will be if the Tennessee Titans play against the New York Giants and they beat the shit outta them. But I highly doubt that'll happen.

The only thing that concerns me (and probably many other Springsteen fans) is what songs the band will play during the show. This year's show will be about 12min(WTF??). Last year's one was rather disappointing. I absolutely love Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers; but to see them perform a medley of songs wasn't what I expected. They played half of American Girl, half of I Won't Back Down, half of Running Down A Dream, and half of Free Fallin'! That was pretty laughable, but they did put up a good show.

Bruce'll probably play the hits, and at least one song from the upcoming record. Here's my setlist prediction:

1. Glory Days / Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out / Born In The USA
2. My Lucky Day

3. Born To Run

I seriously doubt Thunder Road will work in this situation, probably because of the intro. I really hope that the setlist won't turn into a medley. Springsteen songs will never work like that. But if it does happen, there'll be a huge shitstorm raining down in the BTX forums.

An excellent promo video:
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/43/events/halftime-show

Next week, I'll be posting more details on Working On A Dream and the follow-up tour...