Monday, August 3, 2009

Tour Review/Preview


Now, I really can't give much of a review, only having seen one show. And even after one month, I'm still talking about it! As we all know, Bruce always plays his best shows in Europe, and this year's stadium leg was just as good, if not better than last year's. Setlist wise, we've seen more tour premieres than anyone could have asked for -- all thanks to those pesky sign requests! I won't be surprised if they play every song off from Tracks before this tour is over, which is every hardcore fan's wet dream. There'll definitely be more 'stump the band' opportunities in the States. Speaking of which, rumor has it that Chicago is gonna hear Born To Run in its entirety! It'd be great to see if Bruce can manage to play other albums during their shows. Maybe one different album for each of the five nights at Giants Stadium?

The band will also be playing at Madison Square Garden, celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame. Other acts include Stevie Wonder, Simon & Garfunkel, and Crosby Stills & Nash. Can't wait to catch this one on HBO. The idea of Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon, David Crosby and Stevie Wonder performing together on stage is pretty fuckin' cool.

The post-concert summertime blues have almost gone away, but something tells me this might be the last time we'll be seeing the E Street Band on stage. Bruce said he'll be taking a break from the band and start working on his side projects. Possibly another solo effort or resurrecting the Seeger Sessions band. He also specifically said this ain't a farewell tour for E Street. Still, you gotta be doubtful whether the guys can last even five more years. But hey, if bands like the Stones and The Who (at least half) can last for more than forty years, I don't see a reason why the E Street Band can't :)

On the other hand, the year ain't over yet! I got Nine Inch Nails next week and Elvis Costello in October. But the big one is Pearl Jam this November. The only problem is that I gotta travel down to Australia for them, something which I'll gladly do without much thought. Easier said than done though. With school exams right during that time, my chances are looking pretty slim. But then again, I'll never forgive myself if I don't do this. I've already regretted not seeing Dave Matthews Band on their first night at Brixton. Call me crazy, but seriously, not being to see my favorite bands live has almost become a matter of life and death. I'll have to see how, come August 17, when the tickets go on sale. Cheers for now.