Monday, December 28, 2009

M*A*S*H

As far back as I can remember, I only started getting into the show about four years ago. Man, it totally changed my view on television. Never have I come across a show so fucking funny, yet at the same time, so profound and deep, not to mention emotionally straining and heartbreaking. One moment you're laughing, and a second later, you are crying. It has happened to me several times while watching the series. And most of the time, there was also an important lesson to learn at the end of each episode.

Most of all, I just adore the characters and how they weave in and out of our lives; Hawkeye, BJ, Potter, Radar, Klinger, Margaret, Charles, Trapper, Klinger, Frank, and Henry Blake (why did they have to kill him off?!). They were no doubt some of the most memorable characters in television history. The first 4 or 5 seasons were fucking classic. By the time I reached the 11th and final season, the show got much less hysterical and more serious, but still great nonetheless.

The final episode (aired in 1983) ever still holds the record for the most watched television show in America. Unbelievable. I finally saw it for the first time. Two whole hours, played out just like a feature film. The final 15 minutes is one for the ages, where all the main characters stream out of the 4077 one by one, leaving Hawkeye and BJ together alone. Man, they looked fucking old. It seemed like the Korean war had been going on for eleven years. But their last scene together just killed me.